Meet the Curl Boutique Team
One thing that makes the Curl Boutique so unique is that we’re a team-based salon - and proud of it! As a small, specialty, boutique salon, each of our team members is trained to cut, color, and style your curls. In fact, you will most likely interact with and be serviced by each member of our team during your appointment. We also encourage clients to book with any stylist when scheduling appointments. This structure demonstrates and cultivates our supportive and collaborative culture.
Our team members support each other relentlessly through their actions, decisions, and words because we are all working towards the same goal: providing you with the very best in curly hair services, every time.
Sammy is beyond excited to welcome you to the Curl Boutique. Sammy fatefully met Debbi while working the cash register at a local licensed beauty supply store. With his warm personality and vast product knowledge, Debbi knew he would be an asset to the ever-growing team. It wasn't long before Sammy's first day at the Curl Boutique, and after that, he was becoming a client favorite. Sammy came aboard to support and work alongside the incredibly passionate and talented staff, and because he is currently pursuing his cosmetology license. Cosmetology is a true, long-standing love of Sammy's, and he often studies new techniques or products in his spare time. He also is part of the curl family with long, naturally curly hair!
Sammy believes that what makes the Curl Boutique so unique and beloved is the specialized, exclusive, curl-focused approach delivered via education, experience, and skills. He enjoys the atmosphere in the salon where, as an apprentice, he gets to learn while simultaneously working with clients. Sammy has a spirit for service and he looks forward to meeting you!
Get to Know Sammy!
- I love… fashion, beauty (makeup, skincare, fragrance), traveling and exploring, thrift shopping, horror films, video games, being independent and making people feel beautiful and more confident, inside and out!
- My specialty is… I like to think I have great people skills and can keep a conversation going! I also love making others laugh and smile.
- My favorite apps… Amazon, Starbucks, and eBay.
- My guilty pleasures are… Pokémon and Downton Abbey… hehe!
- I must read/follow/listen to… books and poetry by Sylvia Plath and Anne Sexton, stories by H.P. Lovecraft and Edgar Allan Poe, art and photography by Cindy Sherman, Louise Bourgeois, Marilyn Minter, John Willie, Hans Bellmer, and Guy Bourdin, and designers Gareth Pugh, Rick Owens, Alexander McQueen, Thierry Mugler, and Lanvin.
- My daily essentials are… coffee, candles, Tom Ford cologne, Madonna, and oh - did I mention coffee?! I also cherish having downtime to recharge and relax daily!
- To me, education is… vital to our growth, and helps us to evolve and adapt!
- My approach to curls is… "embrace what you have - naturally!"
- My must-have life tools are… a sketchbook, music, the latest fashion magazine, and a latte (or three!).
- I find inspiration from… unexpected places. It seems to happen most when I'm not even looking for it.
- What's it like to work in a team-based salon? Inclusive, inspiring, and full of endless possibilities for everyone!
- My favorite meme/GIF is…
Daija felt compelled to work in the beauty industry starting at ten years old when she started doing her own hair. Daija’s story is similar to many curlies; she struggled and fought with her curls, eventually sticking to the same style every day: a slicked-back ponytail. Feeling frustrated with how her hair never looked as polished as everyone else in school, she turned to flat irons and straightening treatments. When she was 12, she got her first Brazilian blowout. She fell in love with how “easy” her hair was when it was straight. However, her sophomore in high school Daija had enough with the damage she was doing to her hair. She wanted the hours of her life back she spent blow-drying and flat ironing her curls, and she wanted to feel beautiful without needing to change her hair. It wasn’t before long she was researching curly hairstyles, products, and remedies, spending hours watching tutorials on YouTube. Slowly but surely, Daija began to learn how to manage - and love! - her curls.
Daija graduated high school and decided to pursue her dreams of becoming a licensed cosmetologist in 2018. Shortly after, she found her home at the Curl Boutique, joining the team in fall 2019. Daija is thrilled to be living out her dream of inspiring, educating, and encouraging others to fall in love with their own curls, just as she did.
Get to Know Daija!
- I love… how supportive and patient my family and friends have been with me through my journey of graduating from high school and pursuing my dream of becoming a curly hair specialist.
- My specialty is… doing my makeup every morning as if I'm a beauty guru with millions of followers.
- My favorite app is… Instagram, Pinterest, and Amazon.
- My guilty pleasures are… chocolate, and spending hours watching hair and makeup tutorials.
- I must read/follow/listen to… @lisette, @sayridajare, and @gioflipinohair.
- My daily essentials are… water, my phone, my hair products, and Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara.
- To me, education is… so important. Education is crucial in growing and advancing in life.
- My approach to curls is… to give them all the love and affection they need, and to take the utmost care of them.
- My must-have life tools are… a portable charger and my favorite scrunchies.
- I find inspiration from… in day to day activities, and on Instagram and Pinterest
- What's it like to work in a team-based salon? it's so uplifting. Everyone is like one big family. We are always encouraging and building each other up. It's one of the best experiences.
- My favorite meme/GIF is…
Maddy has been obsessed with cosmetology and fashion for what feels like forever. As the daughter of a hairstylist, and the youngest of three sisters who are equally into beauty, pouring over make-up and hair tutorials on the internet as a young girl felt natural. Growing up, Maddy's outlook on her hair has always been experimental, trying dyes, wigs, extensions, and hot tools to change-up her style on demand. It was not until recently that she felt a desire to accept her hair in its natural state, and to figure out tips and techniques to make her own curls versatile and exciting. Since joining the Curl Boutique team in the spring of 2019, Maddy has been enjoying learning about the world of curly hair, working hard to understand the science and philosophies behind it all.
A true lover of learning, Maddy is currently a full-time student at the University of Southern Maine, in addition to the education she is receiving at the salon. She loves to work with people and is excited to combine her service-oriented mindset with the styling skills she is developing!
Get to Know Maddy!
- I love… choral music - I am currently attending USM to get my degree in music education, and I aspire to teach high school choir.
- My specialty is… gift-giving. I am an amazing gifter! The secret is being a good listener, so I guess that might be my REAL specialty.
- My favorite app is… the Panera Bread app - it has easy ordering and good rewards. Rapid pick up is a lifesaver.
- My guilty pleasures are… the smell of bacon... I've been a vegetarian since 2011🐷.
- I must read/follow/listen to… @isthisyourclient on Instagram never fails to get a laugh.
- My daily essentials are… coffee, brows, and lashes.
- To me, education is… rewarding. Being a full-time student is exhausting, but greatly rewarding.
- My approach to curls is… patience. The Curly Girl Method isn't an overnight miracle. It takes time for your curls to heal. Give it six months and you'll see progress. Give it two years and you'll feel like a whole new person.
- My must-have life tools are… I Create Finish (a serious game changer), my ring, and Oasis Moisture Gel.
- I find inspiration from… Music. I love finding new arrangements on Youtube.
- What's it like to work in a team-based salon? It's really fun to be in a team-based salon! I prefer working with people and enjoy collaboration, so it fits my style perfectly.
- My favorite meme/GIF is…
Barbara's career began in education. Her love of learning and educating others quickly became her passion. In 2001, Barbara joined the beauty industry when she met and married Brett Pierce, who along with his family owns a successful salon in Huntsville, AL. Since then, Barbara has come to admire and embrace the beauty industry and has combined her respect and knowledge of the beauty industry with her passion for education to help others develop growth and performance in their own company.
Whether teaching or working in the salon, Barbara lives by the No-Compromise Leadership principles. As a Certified Strategies Coach, she faces every challenge with a positive outlook. "I just want everyone to know the joy of setting goals and reaching them." Barbara believes the systems and methods taught by Strategies will empower business leaders and equip them to overcome any obstacle. "Our introduction to Strategies all those years ago was a turning point for our company that sparked a period of positive change and growth for us." Now enjoying the challenges that come with opening a new salon location, Barbara is excited to bring her educational skills and salon management knowledge to businesses seeking to achieve their maximum potential.
- I love… to keep 'em laughing.
- My specialty is… being a social chameleon. I love meeting people across a variety of cultures, and I feel like I can fit-in well regardless of social situation.
- My favorite app is… Instacart! Bring me my groceries!!!
- My guilty pleasures are… the Young and the Restless and SO MUCH chocolate!
- I must read/follow/listen to… anything Simon Sinek, Donald Miller, Karin Slaughter for the non-fiction.
- My daily essentials are… a vat of moisturizer and snugs with my dogs 🐶 🐶 🐶.
- To me, education is… essential - once the learning stops, the life deteriorates.
- My approach to curls is… envy laced with a little resentment (I'm sadly NOT a curly girl!).
- My must-have life tools are… mad organizational skills and caffeine.
- I find inspiration from… when someone feeds me 🙂
- What’s it like to work in a team-based salon? Liberating! You know someone always has your back, there is always support, and everyone is rowing in the same direction. Once you see a real team in action, you can't unsee it. Team has a breath and life and body that's absent in so many other workplace settings.
- My favorite meme/GIF is…