Meet the Curl Boutique Team
One thing that makes the Curl Boutique so unique is that we’re a team-based salon - and proud of it! As a small, specialty, boutique salon, each of our team members is trained to cut, color, and style your curls. In fact, you will most likely interact with and be serviced by each member of our team during your appointment. We also encourage clients to book with any stylist when scheduling appointments. This structure demonstrates and cultivates our supportive and collaborative culture.
Our team members support each other relentlessly through their actions, decisions, and words because we are all working towards the same goal: providing you with the very best in curly hair services, every time.
Sammy is beyond excited to welcome you to the Curl Boutique. Sammy fatefully met Debbi while working the cash register at a local licensed beauty supply store. With his warm personality and vast product knowledge, Debbi knew he would be an asset to the ever-growing team. It wasn't long before Sammy's first day at the Curl Boutique, and after that, he was becoming a client favorite. Sammy came aboard to support and work alongside the incredibly passionate and talented staff, and because he is currently pursuing his cosmetology license. Cosmetology is a true, long-standing love of Sammy's, and he often studies new techniques or products in his spare time. He also is part of the curl family with long, naturally curly hair!
Sammy believes that what makes the Curl Boutique so unique and beloved is the specialized, exclusive, curl-focused approach delivered via education, experience, and skills. He enjoys the atmosphere in the salon where, as an apprentice, he gets to learn while simultaneously working with clients. Sammy has a spirit for service and he looks forward to meeting you!
Get to Know Sammy!
- I love… fashion, beauty (makeup, skincare, fragrance), traveling and exploring, thrift shopping, horror films, video games, being independent and making people feel beautiful and more confident, inside and out!
- My specialty is… I like to think I have great people skills and can keep a conversation going! I also love making others laugh and smile.
- My favorite apps… Amazon, Starbucks, and eBay.
- My guilty pleasures are… Pokémon and Downton Abbey… hehe!
- I must read/follow/listen to… books and poetry by Sylvia Plath and Anne Sexton, stories by H.P. Lovecraft and Edgar Allan Poe, art and photography by Cindy Sherman, Louise Bourgeois, Marilyn Minter, John Willie, Hans Bellmer, and Guy Bourdin, and designers Gareth Pugh, Rick Owens, Alexander McQueen, Thierry Mugler, and Lanvin.
- My daily essentials are… coffee, candles, Tom Ford cologne, Madonna, and oh - did I mention coffee?! I also cherish having downtime to recharge and relax daily!
- To me, education is… vital to our growth, and helps us to evolve and adapt!
- My approach to curls is… "embrace what you have - naturally!"
- My must-have life tools are… a sketchbook, music, the latest fashion magazine, and a latte (or three!).
- I find inspiration from… unexpected places. It seems to happen most when I'm not even looking for it.
- What's it like to work in a team-based salon? Inclusive, inspiring, and full of endless possibilities for everyone!
- My favorite meme/GIF is…
Daija felt compelled to work in the beauty industry starting at ten years old when she started doing her own hair. Daija’s story is similar to many curlies; she struggled and fought with her curls, eventually sticking to the same style every day: a slicked-back ponytail. Feeling frustrated with how her hair never looked as polished as everyone else in school, she turned to flat irons and straightening treatments. When she was 12, she got her first Brazilian blowout. She fell in love with how “easy” her hair was when it was straight. However, her sophomore in high school Daija had enough with the damage she was doing to her hair. She wanted the hours of her life back she spent blow-drying and flat ironing her curls, and she wanted to feel beautiful without needing to change her hair. It wasn’t before long she was researching curly hairstyles, products, and remedies, spending hours watching tutorials on YouTube. Slowly but surely, Daija began to learn how to manage - and love! - her curls.
Daija graduated high school and decided to pursue her dreams of becoming a licensed cosmetologist in 2018. Shortly after, she found her home at the Curl Boutique, joining the team in fall 2019. Daija is thrilled to be living out her dream of inspiring, educating, and encouraging others to fall in love with their own curls, just as she did.
Get to Know Daija!
- I love… how supportive and patient my family and friends have been with me through my journey of graduating from high school and pursuing my dream of becoming a curly hair specialist.
- My specialty is… doing my makeup every morning as if I'm a beauty guru with millions of followers.
- My favorite app is… Instagram, Pinterest, and Amazon.
- My guilty pleasures are… chocolate, and spending hours watching hair and makeup tutorials.
- I must read/follow/listen to… @lisette, @sayridajare, and @gioflipinohair.
- My daily essentials are… water, my phone, my hair products, and Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara.
- To me, education is… so important. Education is crucial in growing and advancing in life.
- My approach to curls is… to give them all the love and affection they need, and to take the utmost care of them.
- My must-have life tools are… a portable charger and my favorite scrunchies.
- I find inspiration from… in day to day activities, and on Instagram and Pinterest
- What's it like to work in a team-based salon? it's so uplifting. Everyone is like one big family. We are always encouraging and building each other up. It's one of the best experiences.
- My favorite meme/GIF is…
Client Care Coordinator
Marisa grew up, like most curlies, hating and straightening her naturally curly hair. It wasn’t until high school, when a friend in chorus introduced her to the Curl Boutique, that she finally saw her hair in its true, glorious form! Since then, she hasn’t looked back. Marisa became committed to and passionate about caring for and loving her natural curls from that moment on. She was also encouraging her loved ones to follow suit, bringing her mom to the church of curly hair and walking alongside her as she started her own self-affirming curl-journey.
After being an adoring client of the boutique for years, and experiencing and witnessing what a profound impact a hair salon can have on one's life, Marisa is overjoyed to join the CB team. She brings with her a multitude of assets, as well as a heart for service. Detail oriented and obsessed with organization, Marisa is integral to the boutique’s front desk. One of the things Marisa loves most about being on Team CB is working in an environment where she builds relationships with each of the lovely curlies she’s serving, while encouraging them to love their own hair. Marisa loves choir, theater, and the arts in general
Get to Know Marisa!
- I love… my family! My husband, parents, and siblings mean the world to me!
- My specialty is… organization. I love color coding, alphabetizing and all things organization!
- My favorite app is…the phone app...I know it sounds weird, but I LOVE talking on the phone! 📱📱📱
- My guilty pleasures are… The Bachelor, and adult coloring books.
- I must read/follow/listen to… any realistic fiction book. I read about a book a day!
- My daily essentials are… chapstick and my essential oil rollers.
- To me, education is… fun! I love to learn, I would have stayed in high school forever if they would let me 😁
- My approach to curls is… embrace them. Sometimes they’re perfect, sometimes they’re messy. It’s part of the fun; they’re always different!
- My must-have life tools are… my mom, and Spotify premium
- I find inspiration from… music and the people around me.
- What's it like to work in a team-based salon? It’s a blast! Everyone is important and everyone has value that they can add to the team dynamic.
- My favorite meme/GIF is…
Barbara's career began in education. Her love of learning and educating others quickly became her passion. In 2001, Barbara joined the beauty industry when she met and married Brett Pierce, who along with his family owns a successful salon in Huntsville, AL. Since then, Barbara has come to admire and embrace the beauty industry and has combined her respect and knowledge of the beauty industry with her passion for education to help others develop growth and performance in their own company.
Whether teaching or working in the salon, Barbara lives by the No-Compromise Leadership principles. As a Certified Strategies Coach, she faces every challenge with a positive outlook. "I just want everyone to know the joy of setting goals and reaching them." Barbara believes the systems and methods taught by Strategies will empower business leaders and equip them to overcome any obstacle. "Our introduction to Strategies all those years ago was a turning point for our company that sparked a period of positive change and growth for us." Now enjoying the challenges that come with opening a new salon location, Barbara is excited to bring her educational skills and salon management knowledge to businesses seeking to achieve their maximum potential.
- I love… to keep 'em laughing.
- My specialty is… being a social chameleon. I love meeting people across a variety of cultures, and I feel like I can fit-in well regardless of social situation.
- My favorite app is… Instacart! Bring me my groceries!!!
- My guilty pleasures are… the Young and the Restless and SO MUCH chocolate!
- I must read/follow/listen to… anything Simon Sinek, Donald Miller, Karin Slaughter for the non-fiction.
- My daily essentials are… a vat of moisturizer and snugs with my dogs 🐶 🐶 🐶.
- To me, education is… essential - once the learning stops, the life deteriorates.
- My approach to curls is… envy laced with a little resentment (I'm sadly NOT a curly girl!).
- My must-have life tools are… mad organizational skills and caffeine.
- I find inspiration from… when someone feeds me 🙂
- What’s it like to work in a team-based salon? Liberating! You know someone always has your back, there is always support, and everyone is rowing in the same direction. Once you see a real team in action, you can't unsee it. Team has a breath and life and body that's absent in so many other workplace settings.
- My favorite meme/GIF is…